[MD] Julian Baggini: This is what the clash of civilisations is really about

Blodgett, Nikolas nblodgett at worcester.edu
Mon Jun 1 10:25:42 PDT 2015

david said:

*"We don't need Truth to be Objective, Fixed, Absolute, or Eternal and we
can't have that kind of truth anyway. But we do need truth to be vigorous
enough and strong enough to kill lies, bullshit, fanaticism, propaganda,
honest mistakes and good old fashioned stupidity. We need excellence in
thought and speech and ideas that actually work when they're put into
practice.*
&

*"Royce's notion is truth is so highly idealized and elevated that it might
as well be god. That's the essence of vicious intellectualism, the
denigration of actual experience and the deification of abstract concepts.
Reification is the error of granting existential status to the products of
human reflection, of mistaking thoughts for ontological realities.
Idealists and theists aren't the only ones who commit this error, of
course, but they're far more obvious about it.*

ron replies:

*"In the marketplace of ideas end goalsAnd ultimate truths are an easy sell
itProvides simple powerful tools to navigate life. But, having said that it
must be asked how honest it is to sell an idea like that knowing it isn't
what it says it is.*

John replied (to ron as well as dave):
quoting Royce
*"For one finds what it is that one must construct even if one denies that,*

*in the ideal world of free construction which one is seeking to
define,that construction has a place. In brief, all such researches
illustrate thefact that while the truth which we acknowledge is indeed
relative to thewill  which acknowledges that truth, still what one may call
the pure formof willing is an absolute form, a form which sustains itself
in the veryeffort to violate its own laws. We thus find out absolute truth,
but it isabsolute truth about the nature of the creative will in terms of
which weconceive all truths.  Now it is perfectly true that such absolute
truth isnot accessible to the empirical world, in so far as we deal with
individualphenomena. But it is also true that we all of us conceive the
unity of theworld of experience — the meaning, the sense, the connection of
its facts —in terms of those categories which express precisely this very
form of ourcreative activity.*
&
*"The sum of them all is that ontology, what I mean any positive theory of
an*

*external reality as such, is of necessity myth-making; that however,
suchontology may have enough moral worth to make it a proper object of
effortso long as people know what they mean by it. … the ideal of
thetruth-seeker is not the attainment of any agreement with an
externalreality  but the attainment of a perfect agreement among all
truth-seekingbeings;  that the ethical philosophy is the highest
philosophy.*

I reply:
I have a little trouble keeping up, but I wanted to contribute my thoughts
humbly. If, as I've believed recently, that the human processes of Logic
and Creativity are equal (and have to do with the two hemispheres as well
as the inwards to outwards growth we evolved) that we have a resulting
situation that is at once Static AND Dynamic. If our current evolutionary
form is fairly uniform, and all truth-seekers are in general agreement,
then the current form of Static truth can be a capitalized 'Truth'.
However, with the equal creative-will Rorty mentioned we can adjust that
truth as needed, as Dan pointed out - which I believe is a feature of
science of which dogma is not capable. As humans continue to evolve, then
so will the Truth as seekers see it, too. So science, unlike dogma, is
capable of changing with the Dynamic flow of the Universe - just as we are
capable of evolving, and thus there is an Absolute and a Relative element
of Truth .... just as we are built upon complimentary dichotomous functions
of our nervous system, through which we attain empirical experience upon
which our generally agreed upon 'knowledge' is built. I offer up my
thoughts for dissection .....