[MD] Julian Baggini: This is what the clash of civilisations is really about

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:30:12 PDT 2015

Nikolas,

You state:  "So science, unlike dogma, is
capable of changing with the Dynamic flow of the Universe - just as we are
capable of evolving, and thus there is an Absolute and a Relative element
of Truth"

I reply:  The question isn't whether there is any absolute truth, the
question is whether its pragmatic to mythologize such an absolute. We are
stuck in myth and it's impossible to live outside of some mythic structure
(paintings hanging in a gallery)   I believe that's what Royce meant by
"Absolute Pragmatism".  We find ourselves in a situation where we have to
create categories, but we mustn't be captivated by them.

Baggini's original argument that Ron posted at the beginning of this thread
- was pointing out the effects of a values-free society.  Nihilism breeds
dogmatism.

Your over-all point is well taken - wisdom is found in synthesis, more than
analyzing and choosing of extremes as positions.

Take care,

JohnC