[MD] The Reifying of the Absolute

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 15:39:17 PDT 2015

Happy Father's Day weekend, to all dads.

We accomplish so much, with such small (and pleasurable) effort.

" 'The Absolute' means the same as 'Dynamic Quality' and the 'nothingness'
of Buddhism, but its a poor term because of its connotations.  To me it
connotes something cold, dead, empty of content and rigid.  The term,
'Dynamic Quality,' has opposite connotations.  It suggests warmth, life,
fullness and flexibility.
They are the same."

Robert M. Pirsig's annotation to Lila's Child, pg 284.

All I gotta add is that if "absolute" has negative connotations,
"nothingness" is worse.  But regardless of the subjective perception of
terms, when  terms are explicitly identified as synonymous, we ought to
take the author's word for it and not cavil about our own peccadilloes of
anti-absolutism or anti-theism.

John