[MD] Two Minds

Ron Kulp xacto at rocketmail.com
Thu Nov 5 04:13:54 PST 2015

Austin,
Just to clarify your question, the concept of the levels is just that,
an intellectual construct to help clarify ideas about experience.
If we take them to be an evolutionary chronology in the "objective" sense,
We are going to run into some confusion regarding the topic.
-Ron

> [...]
>> point,
>>> albeit I think an important one, that doesn't really change any
>> conclusions
>>> that Pirsig makes, but that may be worth discussion.
>>>
>>> Pirsig indicates that the Intellectual level emerges from the social
>>> level(and by definition emerged in time after the social level) and thus
>>> has moral authority over it.
>>>
>>> I think this is technically wrong, although the technical reasons don't
>> end
>>> up changing many of the conclusions.
>>>
>>> I think that both the social and intellectual levels emerged out of the
>>> biological level.  The intellectual did emerge after the social and still
>>> holds moral authority over it and still has access to it, but it is more
>>> correct to say that it emerged from biology.
>>>
>>> I think this because it more adequately fits what we see in reality.  Our
>>> brains have many parts and recent Psychological analysis shows that it
>> also
>>> has multiple modes.  Kahneman puts this forward in Thinking Fast and
>> Slow (
>>> http://amzn.to/1MzA82R ).  Here we see System 1 (Quick Judgments) and
>>> System 2 (Methodical Thought) being driven by various parts of the brain
>>> and assimilated in the neocortex.  The theory is that the more reptilian
>>> brain evolved first, and the neocortex evolved with access to these other
>>> parts of the brain to add prediction and better fitness.  System 1 is the
>>> social level brain and System 2 is the intellectual part.  System 1 just
>> is
>>> and just does.  System 2 can override and use simulated expectations as a
>>> basis.
>>>
>>> Ultimately though, both evolutions were biological responses to fitness.
>>> Both emerged out of biology and out of what the biological level values
>>> (fitness).
>>>
>>> I think this is important because at one point Pirsig says that a level
>>> only has access to the level below it.  I think the Intellectual level
>> does
>>> have access to the biological(although it has many built in biases
>> because
>>> System 1 was around with it developed).  System 2 may even be completely
>>> reliant on System 1 existing, but it can still reach down through it and
>>> act at the biological level.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the fallout from this is that distinguishing that the
>>> intellectual level should have moral authority over the social level
>>> becomes even murkier.  Unfortunately this also seems be an accurate map
>> of
>>> the territory.  I’m from Houston and yesterday we voted down our Houston
>>> Equal Rights Ordinance(HERO) because we have a significant portion of our
>>> population that has no desire to operate at an intellectual level.  It is
>>> all still way to social here in the South and social means that that guy
>>> over there is going to get one over on me if I don’t take it for myself.

>>> Archives:
>>> http://lists.moqtalk.org/pipermail/moq_discuss-moqtalk.org/