[MD] What's Personalism?

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:44:13 PDT 2015

Auxier's Time Will and Purpose:

--the idea of "person" comes into James' thought and vocabulary as an
existential modality which may be further qualified by particular views,
but the affirmation of this modality, the "personal", is a requirement of
ontological pluralism, and "irreducible pluralism", is the law."

    James then proceeds to distinguish the "personification" of the
modality of consciousness from anthropomorism (as Bowne often did).  James
points out that even the phenomena that are normally classed "unconscious"
are nevertheless "parts of secondary personal selves," which have poor
communication with the primary personal self, but are nevertheless,
personal, continuing: "although the size of a secondary self thus formed
will depend on the number of thoughts thus split-off from the main
consciousness, the *form  *of it tends to personality..."   (Princ. of
Psych, 227) --

Here is what makes James' and Pirsig's work so vital for today.  How to
deal with persons, as a category.  This in a age where personality is so
often a digital construct!   An age foretold by the original American
thinkers of old, who have more relevance than the sobriquet
"stuffed-shirts" bequeaths.

John

--
"finite players