[MD] What's Personalism?

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:40:52 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:44 PM, John Carl <ridgecoyote at gmail.com> wrote:

> Auxier's Time Will and Purpose:
>
> --the idea of "person" comes into James' thought and vocabulary as an
> existential modality which may be further qualified by particular views,
> but the affirmation of this modality, the "personal", is a requirement of
> ontological pluralism, and "irreducible pluralism", is the law."

Now, adding on to that, a snippet of dialogue I got from somewhere but
forgot where (Kudert's blog maybe?) ...

" Concluding, it can be said that the postmodern moral impasse is foremost
a theoretical impasse and not a practical one.
Judgments are still passed and moral narrations of  identity are still
told.
Following Kästner’s slogan that ethics is always inextricably linked  to
moral behavior, I have tried to trace the ethical theory developed in this
work in the  story of sociohistorical moral discourse. By supposing
communicative realities to be the only  realities accessible for human
beings, a communicative realism, that is to say foundationalism, has
effectively been molded for ethical theory.

Jc:  I think this aligns with James' view, don't you?

"One could argue at this point that there is no need to properly describe
moral actions if people still manage to act morally. Yet, the emerging
problems of justification are crucial problems in a global discourse
between different cultures. If they are to cooperate closely in the future
and to cooperate with as little conflict as possible, a means of sensible
communication between their different moral concepts must be found."

Jc:  And in a nutshell, our need for dealing with Islamic fundamentalism
creatively and justly, hinges upon this.  Getting this right, is one of our
most important tasks, as critics of SOM.

 "Intuitive emotional access to ethics does not suffice in case the
identities in question differ greatly. Therefore, a proper ethical theory
that also addresses the rational abilities is indispensable."

 Amen, whomever.

John.

  when we are discussing Personalism, we are discussing the modality of