[MD] still going?

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 19:43:25 PST 2016

Hi  John,

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 7:09 PM, John Carl <ridgecoyote at gmail.com> wrote:

>> dmb says:
>>
>> DiSanto thinks there "is a genuine parallel" between the yin-yang polarity
>> and the subject-object polarity but I'm not so sure.
>

>   I'm with you, dave.  I don't think you can  compare terms in differing
> metaphysical contexts, quite so glibly.  Not without a lot of hemming and
> hawing and opening up your baggage for inspection.

Dan:
But isn't that the fun? Examining that baggage someone's left open?
Picking through it to see if there might be something of use? And I
didn't take DiSanto's postulation as being offered glibly. I took the
effort as worth our while to pursue.

JC:
> The subject-object
> distinction itself is a kind of trap that Taoism avoids, so I don't see how
> you could relate Taoist terms to SOM's.    I also think Pirsig's use of
> Quality as fundamental, is an improvement upon modern interpretations of
> Taoism that assert "interaction between" yin and yang.

Dan:
Tao gives rise to the Two. The Two give rise to the Ten Thousand
things, or words to that effect. It seems that the interaction between
the Two is simply a way of organizing reality not dissimilar to
subject and object. I took that as DiSanto's point. No?

>JC:
> Interaction between.   That's a piss-poor term for caring, wouldn't you
> say?

Dan:
That depends upon the context. Seems a kid as in a snot-nosed eighteen
year old who worked as in formerly as a porter at the dealership where
I do building maintenance just got canned for stealing change out of a
customer's car. The kid. Said kid'd been there a while. Did quality
work so far as it goes. Leastways that's the word I got. Always helped
when I asked for a hand. Can't say the same for most of the porters
there. As in lazy assholes. The kid cared. But apparently his
interaction between the tempation to pocket a bit of spare change vs
his job seemed a bit convoluted. Did he care too much about the one
and not the other? And where does the caring about one end and the
other begin? Did he not realize quality and morality are synonymous?
Or in his mind was one different from the other?

Thanks, John

Dan

http://www.danglover.com