[MD] The Heinous Quadrilemma

mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net
Sun Nov 6 20:13:22 PST 2016

dmb,

> dmb replies:
>
> One say that "Pure experience" or Quality "logically precedes this
> distinction" just as one can say sleeping logically precedes waking.
>  In both cases, logic doesn't exist in that first stage but logic
> does obtain when we start thinking about it or talking about it. The
>  logic can also be expressed as a little argument: Since concepts
> are  derived from experience, the experiential material from which
> they  are derived must come before the concepts.

Tuukka:

Unlike Quality, "sleeping" is not an undefined concept. But you seem
to imply that logic doesn't exist when people sleep. Firstly, not
true. Some people have seen correct formal statements in their dreams.
My high school maths teacher told me Ramanujan did this. Secondly, not
relevant. Waking does not logically follow sleeping, it follows
sleeping temporally.

As for you little argument, well, I don't see the point. I'm fine with
the idea that concepts are derived from experience and that the
experiential material from which they are derived must come before the
concepts. But I'm saying the concepts are not deduced from the
experiential material. They also do not logically follow from it.
Deduction and logic is what you do when you already have a bunch of
concepts.

Regards,
Tuk