[MD] Annotations to LC

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Fri Nov 18 07:38:33 PST 2016

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 6:26 PM, Tuukka Virtaperko <mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net> wrote:
>
> Ron,
>
> okay, so now you want me to make you secure further premises for your argument that dialectic is a form of rhetoric. According to the Socratic method I should now proceed to secure your agreement to further premises. The premise I propose you to agree to is:
>
> "It is irrelevant whether dialectic is a form of rhetoric, because when I accuse an argument of being rhetorical I mean some other form of rhetoric than dialectic."
>
> I don't have a peer group because Bo didn't give me Pirsig's e-mail address! :D (I don't know what else to do than to joke about this. I don't like not having a peer group. Some people teach me things and skills but your teacher isn't your peer. And although I'd like to teach people seem to find me preach.)
>
> Your further thesis is that all explanation is an argument from the particular to the universal. Do you mean that you find all explanations to be inductive? And do you find the previous question to approach your argument deductively, ie. from the universal to the particular?

Ron replies:
That captures the spirit of it I believe.
To me it seems,  Pirsigs logic seeks
To explain deductive contradictions through
Inductive reasoning. Aristotle said something similar in regard to another dialectical contradiction, what "is" and what "is not". He said it cannot be solved dialectically. What matters is what holds the most meaning in experience. Thusly dialectic
Contradictions are solved by inductive inference by moving from the particular experience to generalization. Deduction
Then deals with those generalizations.

Pirsig's commentary then dissects inductive
Reasoning . His explanation notes that induction is mostly informed from personal bias. So that when we move from subjective
Inductive reasoning to objective deductive
Knowledge it brings certain assumptions with it that create contradictions in dialectic
Reasoning. He claims that this flaw in how we reason is the basis of dialectical contradictions. Like the mind/matter contradiction.