[MD] Rhetoric

David Harding david at goodmetaphysics.com
Fri Nov 25 21:36:51 PST 2016

Adrie wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response.The last two years i’v developed a heart condition.Sometimes my motor scales down to about 30 beats/min. If so, i’m to tired to type or function well.The medics here do not call that an urgent condition.I did all tests.The diagnostics are not conclusive, so i will have new tests halfway December. I also developed something they call extra systoles.Apparently innocent extra heartbeats inbetween the normal rithm.About 40.000 per day. Very annoying.
But enough of that.

djh writes:
So sorry to learn of this. Best of luck Adrie!!

Adrie wrote:
I believe that i have read somewhere that Pirsig is a Democrat?..probably in the observer interview.People here in Europe do not understand a country with only Democrates and Republicans, a kandidate-president who wins the populair vote, and loses the presidency. Europeans do not understand why the American president is called the President of the free world, and has the power to rule the country on his own agenda with the help of an administration appointed by him.
Bush simply ordered the war on Irak. Why does America need the house of representatives, the parliament,the senate,the still existing houses of representatives in the apart states?…
People wonder here if they are only there for local laws,traffic rules,pollution rules……….what if Trump can rule the country And the free world as an emperor?,…strange really, because when his time is done,he can walk from the scene,leaving all responsibilities behind him.
These are some considerations.

djh writes:
I don’t live in the US but for better or worse they have a disproportionate influence over world affairs and so I have always followed their politics closely.

Whilst I don’t pretend to answer for the craziness of their electoral system there are books about how the office of the president has likely overstepped his bounds (https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Imperial_Presidency
) .  To keep this in MOQ terms - I think an argument could be made that the role of the President within the American system is influenced by the idea and value of the Native American chief.  The role of the president as a monarch ruling over a country is European to be sure, but why retain such an ease with this authoritarian role within the government and not abolish it completely?

Being Australian, and so from a culture which is inherently suspicious of authority; I can’t envisage such large powers being given to any one individual in our culture. And yes, like Pirsig, I attribute much of Australian culture to a mixture of European and indigenous culture (though, like Pirsig, to suggest as much is deemed a very peculiar statement indeed).

Sent with Unibox