[MF] MoQ and theism

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 03:22:20 PST 2005

Thank you all.  And speical thanks to Daniel Doss.
Daniel, you get the gold
star.  Thank you for providing the relevant ZMM
citations.

Although he doesn't come right out and say it I think
you're correct in
presuming that Pirsig would say theism is a ghost.
But it also sounds like he'd
include deism, atheism and even science and philosophy
in this group.  It sounds
to me like he'd say they're all ghosts.

On page 325 of Lila Pirsig writes, "We are always in
the position of that
squirrel. Man is always the "measure of all things",
even in matters of space
and dimension. Persons like James and Einstein,
immersed in the spirit of
philosophy, do not see things like squirrels circling
trees as necessarily
trivial because solving puzzles like that are what
they're in philosophy and
science for. Real science and real philosophy are not
guided by preconceptions
of what subjects are important to consider."

I offer this because it seems to capture the essence
of what Pirsig means by
"real."  Pirsig's "stake in the ground" appears to be
"Man is the measure of all
things."  It's only through this that "real" science
and philosphy can be had.

"Man is the measure of all things."  What is man?

For the record, theism, for me, is about the belief
that God is a person who is
present in the world.

Peace!

Kevin Perez