[MF] R: the way forward for MoQ discussion lists

Jonathan jonathan at marder.freeyellow.com
Sat Nov 5 07:57:06 PST 2005

Hi all,

Time for another lurker to chime in. I am happy to see so many the old
Lila Squad suddenly materialize. I miss the old days when we had a
single moderated mailing list. I don't miss the moderation (censorship),
but do miss the associated dynamics, with mailings being released once a
day. That meant that people had almost 24 hours to integrate a GOOD
response to all mailings from the previous day. I emphasize the GOOD
because the "instant gratification" of instant replies IMHO has led to
low quality postings.

I still see the appeal of discussion "rooms", but think this is best
handled by discussion threads. We can easily have a number of discussion
threads going on simultaneously, each thread having a life of its own -
but with people free to merge or divide threads as consider appropriate.
I don't see any need for moderation, but think that threads will live
according to their value or die according to their futility. However, I
must restate my opinion that this will work much better if we get the
dynamics right (e.g. by restricting the release of postings to once a
day).

Best wishes to all,

Jonathan Marder