[MF] the way forward for MoQ discussion lists

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Mon Nov 14 15:39:37 PST 2005

Hi Folks

There's been some very interesting posts over the last few days but I'm not sure we're
looking at the situation correctly.
The goal, as I see it, is to create a number of common areas, such as those suggested
already, which can generate a reasonable number of daily posts such that potential
members of various levels of knowledge feel they can participate. To do this each
common area needs to be sufficiently broad so as to attract participation and at the
same time contain levels of conversation such that both beginners, experts and those in
between can join in.

Sam's idea of a town square or university quad seems a good one, but I'd see
something like MD as the square and the other lists as the areas to which people
migrate after a while. To further the analogy I'd see the phpBB style as the
canteen/coffee shop/bar.
When Sam says:

"Is there a reason why we can't 'let the thousand flowers bloom' and allow
different fora to be started up as people wish, and then those which prosper get
set up formally, and those that don't prosper wither away? Seems quite
evolutionary to me, and moqish."

I'd see this as threads within a common area and not a new list for every thread or
subject within the theme. The logistics of seting up and maintaining several lists a week
makes me want to run away and hide in a dark hole!

What we have at the moment is not entirely satisfactory in that there is one list (MD) with
too much traffic which alienates and overwhelms many members and another (MF) with
too little traffic where boredom seems to set in after an initial few posts. What's needed
is some sort of middle ground that we can agree on.
I'd suggest that initially we set up 5 or 6 new forums and see how they go. These would
be in addition to MD which remains as a general MoQ discussion area.Once a
discussion indicates it's direction the thread should move out to the relevant area. MF
can be put to sleep unless there is sufficient interest in it continuing as an area for
discussions such as this - i.e. a single theme with a specific point. Also needed will be
people who are willing to administer these lists.

NOTE TO BULLETIN BOARDERS
I fully intend to set up a bulletin board style area on either moq,org or moqtalk.org but it
will be after we have the lists sorted out. Before this appears though I'd like to take time
to consider how it's to be used and what it's purpose is. A new wiki is also on the
agenda.

That's all for now

Horse