[MF] the way forward for MoQ discussion lists

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Mon Nov 21 15:14:07 PST 2005

Hi Wim

On 21 Nov 2005 at 22:44, Wim Nusselder wrote:

> Dear Gert-Jan,
>
> If prolific writers of long contributions would move most of their
> production to the MoQ wiki and chatterboxes would move their chatter to a
> chatbox, the traffic at MD might become bearable even without delaying
> distribution of contributions.

And if they don't want to move? What then? Should they be removed for having more to
say than others?

> I don't intend to use either of these alternatives regularly. I'm primarily
> interested in reducing MD traffic. The Forum isn't effective enough for
> prolific writers (because of the delay in publishing). If the MoQ wiki
> doesn't work yet (because you have to look for it), I can't blame anyone. I
> prefer discussion by e-mail too.

Once MD is moved to the new server there will be little delay in posts coming through.
About the same delay as MF currently - i.e. about 30 seconds or so.

On 21 Nov 2005 at 22:33, Wim Nusselder wrote:

> Dear Horse,
>
> The digest mode for those who want it and individual e-mails for those who
> don't doesn't solve the problem of those who cannot handle to much traffic.
> The ones who produce most traffic will choose individual e-mails and still
> be too productive. The digest mode makes it inpossible to select by origin
> and subject what you want to read and what not. You have to read the whole
> digest and replying to individual e-mails from it (quoting relevant parts)
> becomes more difficult.

The only effective way (IMO) to reduce email traffic on MD is to provide other lists with
common areas. Asking members to reduce the number of emails they send each day is
unlikely to work - it hasn't in the past and is unlikely to do so in the future. This has
already been tried and if you look at the rules it does specify a maximum number of
posts. If we stay with the a single list the alternative is to either moderate members
individually or remove them from the list.

Horse