[MF] the way forward for MoQ discussion lists

Wim Nusselder wim.nusselder at antenna.nl
Mon Nov 21 21:51:55 PST 2005

Dear Horse,

You asked:

> And if they don't want to move? What then? Should they be removed for
having more to
> say than others?

If they don't move from their own accord, I don't propose forcing them in
any way. Then we simply have to look for other solutions.

> Once MD is moved to the new server there will be little delay in posts
coming through.
> About the same delay as MF currently - i.e. about 30 seconds or so.

What I am suggesting (and Jonathan too, if I understood him correctly) is
building in a standard delay of say 24 hours despite the technical
possibilities to pass posts on almost immediately. I think the software
should offer that possibility even without moderation.

> The only effective way (IMO) to reduce email traffic on MD is to provide
other lists with
> common areas.

We could try, but as MF didn't have that effect, I doubt whether more MF's
would do the trick.

> Asking members to reduce the number of emails they send each day is
> unlikely to work - it hasn't in the past and is unlikely to do so in the
future. This has
> already been tried and if you look at the rules it does specify a maximum
number of
> posts.

Rules don't work, I agree. Delaying replies, does, as MF showed... My  idea
would be to experiment with the length of the delay (without moderating and
without limiting the subject) so as to reduce traffic enough and not too
much.

> If we stay with the a single list the alternative is to either moderate
members
> individually or remove them from the list.

Which is impractible respectively undesirable, I agree. I hope the
alternative I suggest is now clear.

With friendly greetings,

Wim