[MF] MOQ: valuable or not?

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 02:52:57 PST 2006

Hello Ian,

Interesting speculation, that Pirsig manipulated his way into the book
stores by selling himself short.  He's purpose-driven and smart, and a
good fighter, I'll give you that.  But I think he means what he says.  For
Pirsig, Quality is value and nothing exists in the absence of value.

As best I can figure out Dynamic Quality is some kind of creative force
responsible for all that exists; objects, subjects, thoughts and meaning
itself.  And static patterns of quality do not exist save for their value in
the "eye of a beholder" be it a person, a society, a single-cell organism
or a rock.  From this point of view it is shown that reality fits into a box
called the Metaphysics of Quality.  This explanation brings comfort to
some and consternation to others.

I count myself in the second group.

The Metaphysics of Quality is an interesting theory.  But it has a sterile
feel about it.  Not alive.  Not dead.  But sterile, dry and empty.

According to the Metaphysics of Quality, as I understand it, the
Metaphysics of Quality exists for people who judge it to be valuable.  It
does not exist for people who find no value in it.  What I'd be interested
in talking about is why some people find value in it and why some people
don't.

Anyone interested?

Kevin