[MF] Onward and downward!

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 19 04:03:06 PST 2006

Marsha,

You wrote,

     "Isn't love an extremely high quality, dynamic experience?"

     "That's how I experience it.  I don't experience love as a "yucky
     biological or social emotion", but as a dynamic interaction of the
     highest degree.  And at its highest, when I unconditionally (dynamic)
     experience the beauty in all the world."

I agree.  Love is extremely dynamic.  And so I'd be sure to include time
in any description of it.

For the past several weeks I've listened to U2's How to Dismantle an
Atomic Bomb during my commute to and from work; 45 minutes each
way from Pottstown to West Chester.  The following is a snip from track
2, Miracle Drug.

     I am you and you are mine
     Love makes nonsense of space
     And time... will disappear
     Love and logic keeps us clear
     Reason is on our side, love...

     The songs are in your eyes
     I see them when you smile
     I've had enough of romantic love
     I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up
     For a miracle, a miracle drug, a miracle drug

I've listened to these words more than a dozen times already.  And
they're still just as dynamic as the first time I heard them.  They're deep.
I love that about Bono's lyrics.

If I had to give a name to it I'd say the Miracle Drug is humanity's gift to
itself; the gift of life and love, the best of what it means to be human and
to be alive.

Time is a necessary part of a description of love, I believe, because
love is dynamic.  It changes.  A relationship may begin with a lot of
romantic fluff.  But in time, through faith in and a committment to one
another, love transorms the lovers and in the process love itself is
transformed.

I believe it is their power to transform that sets faith, hope and love apart.

Kevin