[MF] MOQ: valuable or not?

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 17:52:13 PST 2006

Hello Sam,

>> According to the Metaphysics of Quality, as I understand it, the
>> Metaphysics of Quality exists for people who judge it to be valuable.
>> It does not exist for people who find no value in it.  What I'd be
>> interested in talking about is why some people find value in it and why
>> some people don't.
>
> Doesn't Pirsig argue that it is the 'highest quality explanation
> available'? I'm not sure he'd run with the idea that its existence is
> dependent on whether it is seen as being of value or not.

Based on the following (Lila, p. 99) I'd say he would.

     [...] if Quality or excellence is seen as the ultimate reality then it
     becomes possible for more than one set of truths to exist. Then one
     doesn't seek the absolute "Truth." One seeks instead the highest
     quality intellectual explanation of things with the knowledge that if the
     past is any guide to the future this explanation must be taken
     provisionally; as useful until something better comes along.

Kevin