[MF] MOQ: valuable or not?

Steve Mack smackc4 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 21 23:48:58 PST 2006

Hi all; I went for a long drive in the country today, and took notice of a very common sign outside of a church;

It simply said 'GOD IS LOVE'

...I wondered as I pondered it, where that would fit into our [typical] MOQ discussions...
I wonder what Pirsigs' stance on that statement would be...Anyone?

~Steve

--------------------

There was an earlier thread today, by Steve who was responding to  Marsha:

You're talking it seems, of the TYPICAL 'High & positive quality'  concept of
love, as in male/female [or same sex] 'extreme' liking of the other  person
and ideally of each other.  What if one was an abused [sexually,  physically or
mentally] child and HATED the actions of a parent/guardian, yet  throughout
one's life, is still able to [honestly] state, that they 'loved'  their abusing
parent, despite these actions?

I tend to lead toward Steve,  here.  If you imagine love to be a lot like c
aring, I think it's easy  to see that one can care for, and love, something that
is not positive.   The act of loving, and caring, seem to be always positive
acts, almost  by definition.

  Thus, it is quite possible to love (a verb) something you  'hate', in fact,
that is the advice of Ghandi, and also Jesus, if I have it  right.    It may
be the trick is de-verbifying 'hate'.  It's a  bit harder to love something
you are actively "hatin' on."  First let it  be.  Then love it.