[MF] reality: interactions or quality?

Sam Norton elizaphanian at kohath.wanadoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 12:04:33 PST 2006

Hi Marsha,

I think Ted's right - despite benign intentions I'm grinding a bit of an axe
here, so I'll shut up again. But, succinctly, my point isn't a necessarily
religious one, despite a major influence on it being Alasdair MacIntyre, who
does write from (now) a Catholic perspective (he was an atheist Marxist, but
realised that position was inadequate).

Lying behind it for me is Wittgenstein, and I'll leave you with this quotation,
which sums it up:

"I did not get my picture of the world by satisfying myself of its correctness;
nor do I have it because I am satisfied of its correctness. No: it is the
inherited background against which I distinguish between true and false."
(On Certainty, para 94)

Have fun.

Sam