[MF] MOQ: valuable or not?

Ted Greer tedgreer at mac.com
Sun Feb 26 14:55:46 PST 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 1:31 PM, david buchanan wrote:

Ted, Ted and all MFers:

.........But there something else about their reactions I'd like you
to notice. At one point Sam says, "the MoQ needs to be amended" and
Kevin says, "I'm perfectly willing to discuss my Christian beliefs
and my relationship with Jesus.  But I wouldn't expect that kind of
discussion to shed any light on the MoQ. ..it isn't cogent to
Pirsig's writings.." Both of these guys know their views aren't very
compatible with the MOQ, that its gonna clash with the system we're
here to discuss.  One of my concerns here is that, even if one
doesn't count the churches or anything else in the brickandmortor
worl, there are a gazillion places to discuss Christianity. But how
many places are there for the discussion of the MOQ? Is there more
than one? Two or three? In any case, I'm quite disturbed that TedG
might not be the only one to get this impression...

TedG said:
"I started reading this list with the expectation that it would be
about quality. It mostly isn't. There are a few who seem to have not
only read Pirsig, but have some understanding of what they read. In
my opinion, you few are wasting your time, the discussion is
dominated by people with an agenda. The seem to want Pirsig books to
support their faith or something similar. I ain't got time or
interest to support your needs here. I hope you all are at least
enjoying yourselves, I'm going to find something interesting and
meaningful to spend this time on."

dmb says:
In fact, five or six months ago somebody alerted me to a kind of
discussion group search engine for Christians. Apparently, it
searches the world of virtual conversations for certain key terms so
that Christian conversations can be found easily. Some of the
discussion from this forum showed up there. If a surfer had
discovered this forum through that site without knowing anything
about Pirisg, it would have been way too easy to jump to the
conclusion that the MOQ is some kind of Christian philosophy - rather
than being an anti-theisitc form of philosophical mysticism. I guess
it was around the same time when I saw that some of the members had
taken to calling this place GOD.org. instead of MOQ.org. (off-line)
You know, as a pointed little joke about the nature of the
converstions here. My point? I'm pretty sure that TedG is not the
only one to get the wrong impression. I guess the only question is
how many people have been turned off or discouraged enough by it to
avoid the place. How many potential contributors have been lost - or
will be lost -because of this false impression? How many people are
gonna show up WANTING and expecting a theistic philosophy? And how
many of them can I scared away with my nastiness? There's got to be a
limit. This is what worries me most. My capacity for cruelty is
infinite and I very much enjoy the task, but there's only so much
time in a day. How will I ever keep up?  ;-)

dmb

David:
I think I understand what it is supposed to be ("an anti-theisitc
form of philosophical mysticism"(sic), though I would prefer the more
accurate, but easily misunderstood 'a-theistic'.), and I think I
understand what it has ,in fact, been since I have been here
("GOD.org"). So tell me about this 'wrong impression' please.
Thanks,
TedG