[MF] What are people?

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 07:45:12 PST 2006

Matt said:

> If I had  to establish a bottom line on this I would say that relationships
> are  the measure of all things and that apart from their relationships,
>  people don't exist.

Ted :

I like the sculpture photo Kevin posted.   Thanks.     If ever in Philly
again, I'll look for  it.

This question 'What are people' seems pretty broad, but I agree people are
nothing but relationships, both within and across to the arbitrary  (but
practical) skin boundary.

Since IT's ALL relationships, and 'people' are a part of  IT.
I guess it's obvious I'm assuming an equally broad definition of
'relationships.'

If sticking to the 'relationships theme, I'd just like to make my plug for
remembering the relationship people have to the earth, and to other life on
it...
  For example, the fact that too much (>15%) of the ground is  covered with
water-impervious surfaces like roofs, roads, sidewalks, and  driveways, it
destroys the watershed.
  Or the relationship people have to planetary chemistry   the oxygen / co2
balance,
   all our chemical interactions - acid rain, deforestation,  global warming.
  Or the case of the genetically engineered sea weed that is taking  over the
Mediterranean
    - the one that escaped from the Jacques Cousteau  institute!
  Or cloning of pets ? ?

  I guess I'm saying the discussion sound focused on the social and
intellectual relationships, and I agree there.  But, again the  question was quite
broad.  So,  just a quick plug for the inorganic  and biological  dimensions!

Ted