[MF] What are people?

Marty Jorgensen mjorgensen at vpdinc.com
Tue Jan 3 09:42:55 PST 2006

Ted & Matt said:

The answer to the question "What are people" is that "people are nothing but
relationships."  I agree that this is a very broad statement, but it's so
broad that it appears meaningless.  To say "People are nothing but
relationships" is like saying "X is nothing but Y."  In that case, the
definition of "Y" is pretty important.  "Relationships" covers a very broad
area - Dictionary.com has the following definition:

re.la.tion.ship
n.
1.  The condition or fact of being related; connection or association.
2.  Connection by blood or marriage; kinship.
3.  A particular type of connection existing between people related to or
    having dealings with each other: has a close relationship with his
    siblings.
4.  A romantic or sexual involvement.

The definitions that might apply are #1 and #3 (although #4 would be more
fun).  If relationship is a type of connection, what type of connection is
it, as it relates to this discussion?  If what a person is can be defined as
being the relationships they have, then these relationships / connections
must be pretty strong, in the sense that they "are" the person.  Since we
are trying to stay away from a subject / object explanation, it would seem
that what we call people are really relationships, and cannot be separated.
But the idea of a relationship needs at least two things to 'relate' to each
other, so what are these two things, and how do we keep from falling back
into SOM?

Marty J.