[MF] Is the pinnacle of human experience a rational or irrational thing?

Michael Hamilton thethemichael at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 06:13:37 PST 2006

Hi Kevin,

I found your post interesting, mainly because you seem to have reacted
to Pirsig's writings in almost a completely opposite way to how I
reacted. I don't agree that the MOQ categorises "things intellectual
as the pinnacle of man's experience", because the utterly brilliant
thing about Pirsig's metaphysics is that it states that there is much,
much more to man's experience than SQ. Intellectual patterns of
quality might be the pinnacle of SQ (for the time being, anyway), but
they are certainly not the pinnacle of man's experience. I think  one
of the implications of DQ is that it is impossible to define precisely
the pinnacle of man's experience.

I'm not sure how you've construed that Pirsig emphasises only rational
or intellectual quality. I see him as having quite a strong
anti-intellectual bias, especially in ZMM. What makes ZMM so
interesting for me is that, despite his anti-intellectualism, his mind
is nonetheless strongly predisposed to intellectualisation and classic
quality. It's a fascinating contradiction, and it may explain why you
see him as excluding the non-rational. The way I see it, Pirsig did
rely mostly on rational _methods_, but in doing so, he was using
rationality to bring rationality down to its proper place. He laid
down the rational groundwork for a more inclusive discussion of those
non-rational qualities you mentioned.

Regards,
Mike