[MF] Is the pinnacle of human experience a rational or irrational thing?

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 10:10:24 PST 2006

Kevin wrote:

One thing about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that disappoints me
 is its overemphasis on the rational and the intellectual.  This approach
leaves out whole areas of human experience, namely faith, hope and  love.

Mike wrote:
The way I see it, Pirsig did
rely mostly on rational _methods_, but in  doing so, he was using
rationality to bring rationality down to its proper  place.

Ted writes:
I agree with you Mike. Pirsig argues for more caring, in  general. And
besides bringing rationality down, he did elevate love, faith  and hope.  Certainly
at the 'climax'  (peak experience?) of the ZMM  story, our hero puts his faith
in the feeling that 'things are going  to get better', he hopes the very best
for his son, and love for his son (and  from his son), is what saves him from
the bottom of the ocean.
-Ted