[MF] faith, hope and love

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 13:32:31 PST 2006

dmb  said:
OK. We're all concerned with our lives. Hard to argue  with that. But again,
what's with the idea of "something...that has the  power to sustain our
being"? Something tells me he's not just talking  about a nice sandwich or
any other kind of lunch. Are we talking about God  here or what? In that
case, does "honor and respect" really mean "worship  and obey"? And while the
emotional appeal of a meaningful and purposeful  life isn't always a bad
thing, I think that ultimately, if we're trying to  talk about spirituality
or whatever, even the desire for purpose and  meaning is a trap insofar as it
is a desire. And conversely, as static  creatures, we fear meaninglessness. I
mean, in terms of enlightenment,  this sort of quasi-theological talk is
basically aggrandizing the very  thing that is to be overcome. It feeds the
ego and bolsters the  conventional self while enlightenment is said to be
just about the  opposite.

I realize this stuff means something to you, Kevin, and  you're just trying
to spread the joy. But as I understand it, "faith" is  not a good thing. At
least not Fowlers quasi-fascist, spiritually retarded  version of it.

Thanks.
dmb

Ted writes:
Clap.  Thank you David.  I am with you, and well said, meaning  your whole
post.
It seems that, as with the Intelligent Design issue, there has been some
move by Christian leaders to extract God during the initial phase of the  sales
pitch.  Could it be they found it turns people off before they can  get them
hooked (emotionally committed)?  Better to start with  something that is vague
and undefined that can sustain our being, something  awesome and powerful.   Is
the old "Love Bomb" being re-marketed with  more faith-based finesse?

Clearly my longer post (earlier today) about a real Christian  community
demonstrates the case of what David described as

"... a recipe for spiritual death on a personal level and fascism on  the
collective level. Its
all about loyalty and attachments, the good guys  and the bad guys and seems
to construe "faith" as a matter of picking sides  in the world of static
values. And insofar as fear and desire are the cause  of all suffering, its
not very Zen either. Fowlers words are real fine and  pretty on the surface,
but it makes me shudder to see what's under all that  talk about purpose and
meaning. This guy has the talent to be a cult  leader..."

Indeed.  Thanks for the reminder that the Buddhists see  loyalty, attachment,
fear, and desire as the sources of  suffering.   Right on.

My [MF] post echos are delayed many hours, sorry if they arrive out of
sequence.

- Ted