[MF] faith, hope and love

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 11:20:02 PST 2006

Kevin and y'all:

Kevin said:
As I reflected about what faith, hope, love and relationships mean to me one
word came into focus, commitment.  It seems to me that it's only through my
commitments that these other words have any meaning at all.  And
paradoxically, it's through the faith, hope and love that I express and that
others express to me that I'm able to make commitments at all.

dmb says:
Except for sociopathic types and those in a coma, I think everyone knows
what hope and love are. And I think its safe to say that most of us depend
on all kinds of personal relationships. For the most part, I think this is
all about social level values. I think you're talking about the sentiments
that hold society and civilization together, although I'm not sure what
you're getting at with this talk. But its the term "faith" that has always
baffled me. I'm quite skeptical about it too. I've asked other people over
the years, but have never heard an answer that meant anything to me. Maybe
you can help.

Kevin continued:
For a more eloquent explanation I would refer you to a book by James W.
Fowler, Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development....

dmb says:
I'm gonna trim your quotes from Fowler just a bit and then make some
comments so that you might see what sort of trouble I'm having with
"faith"....

Fowler:
"questions of faith... help us get in touch with the dynamic, patterned
process by which we find life meaningful... help us reflect on the centers
of value and power that sustain our lives.  The persons, causes and
institutions we really love and trust, the images of good and evil, of
possibility and probability to which we are committed - these form the
pattern of our faith."

dmb says:
This quote and the questions it refers to only confirm my theory that you're
talking about social level values, what with all the talk about commitment
to powers, causes and institutions. It has a certain emotional appeal
insofar as people desire purpose and meaning in their lives, but there seems
to be an assumption that meaning and purpose are to be found outside
ourselves, in some cause or institution. I think that's a recipie for
spiritual death on a personal level and fascism on the collective level. Its
all about loyalty and attachments, the good guys and the bad guys and seems
to construe "faith" as a matter of picking sides in the world of static
values. And insofar as fear and desire are the cause of all suffering, its
not very Zen either. Fowlers words are real fine and pretty on the surface,
but it makes me shudder to see what's under all that talk about purpose and
meaning. This guy has the talent to be a cult leader...

Fowler:
"...Faith is a person's or group's way of moving into the force field of
life.  It is our way of finding coherence in and giving meaning to the
multiple forces and relations that make up our lives.  Faith is a person's
way of seeing him- or herself in relation to others against the background
of shared meaning and purpose."

dmb says:
Here the idea is to detach faith from religion and define the term so that
anyone who has a "way of seeing him or herself" has faith. Anyone who moves
through "the force field of life", whatever that means, has faith. Seems the
idea here is that we are all persons of faith in some way and that meaning
is to be found in the group, that its a shared meaning. I'm not one of those
Randian Individualists or anything, but that just gives me the willies. And
then there is my continued bewilderment as to the actual meaning of the term
"faith". Its our way of moving into life, our way of finding coherence, a
person's way of seeing himself? Seems like faith is associated with lots and
lots of personal and emotional issues, but its too vague to see much more
than that...

Fowler:
"...Faith,.. is a universal concern. ..we are already engaged with issues of
faith. ..we are concerned with how to put our lives together and with what
will make life worth living. ..we look for something to honor and respect
that has the power to sustain our being."

dmb says:
OK. We're all concerned with our lives. Hard to argue with that. But again,
what's with the idea of "something...that has the power to sustain our
being"? Something tells me he's not just talking about a nice sandwich or
any other kind of lunch. Are we talking about God here or what? In that
case, does "honor and respect" really mean "worship and obey"? And while the
emotional appeal of a meaningful and purposeful life isn't always a bad
thing, I think that ultimately, if we're trying to talk about spirituality
or whatever, even the desire for purpose and meaning is a trap insofar as it
is a desire. And conversely, as static creatures, we fear meaninglessness. I
mean, in terms of enlightenment, this sort of quasi-theological talk is
basically aggrandizing the very thing that is to be overcome. It feeds the
ego and bolsters the conventional self while enlightenment is said to be
just about the opposite.

I realize this stuff means something to you, Kevin, and you're just trying
to spread the joy. But as I understand it, "faith" is not a good thing. At
least not Fowlers quasi-fascist, spiritually retarded version of it.

Thanks.
dmb