[MF] A thirty-thousand page menu with no food?

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 09:18:35 PST 2006

Kevin,

Kevin said:
Re: Pirsig's historical mystics' take on metaphysics and the restaurant,
menu and food metaphor.  A re-read of chapters 8, 9 and 10 in Lila, the
exposition of Dynamic Quality, would appear to lead to a different
conclusion.

Matt:
DMB mentioned the same passage about empiricism, but I'm not sure how its
supposed to figure into my reading, how it controverts or otherwise changes
the reading I offered, or the point of the passage I suggested.  As you say,
"it may take another metaphor," which is to say, Pirsig's talking about
something a little different in this passage.

I will, however, express my dissatisfaction with that section.  One source
is when Pirsig says, "They [art, morality, religious mysticism] have been
excluded because of the metaphysical assumption that all the universe is
composed of subjects and objects and anything that can't be classified as a
subject or an object isn't real."  This is where Pirsig gets hit with the
strawman charge and I don't blame the accusers.  Art and morality and
mysticism _can_ be classified: they are in the subject.  Pirsig then wants
to say that SOMists think that anything that is subjective is unreal--that's
not true.  There aren't many (if any) that suggest that, though various
philosophers working in the S/O problematic do give many different
suggestions for how the subjective differs from the objective, some of which
denigrates the subjective to a large extent.  For instance, the logical
positivists, whose most famous ethical position was emotivism (from A. J.
Ayer).  Emotions are _real_, though.  They are just irrational.  I don't
think Ayer ever called them unreal.

Barring Pirsig's continued short shrift of his enemy (one can get over that
easily enough by constructing better Pirsigian answers out of his tools),
there is something even a little more insidious going on.  Reading the
passage, we find that Pirsig's metaphysics (the MoQ) subscribes to
empiricism, which says, "all legitimate human knowledge arises from the
senses or by thinking about what the senses provide."  Pirsig says that his
metaphysics varies from this.  We can already predict in what way based on
his suggestion that values=reality=experience.  Everything is value (of
various forms), everything is empiricial because it is all experienced.
That means a _metaphysics_ is empirically based (in some way).

But look how Pirsig attacks the positivists: "the values of art and morality
and even religious mysticism are verifiable, and that in the past they have
been excluded for metaphysical reasons, not empirical reasons."  Pirsig
attacks the positivists because they have been excluding art, morality,
mysticism, etc. because of a metaphysical _assumption_ and "there is no
empirical evidence for this assumption at all.  It is just an assumption."
Pirsig, after dissolving the distinction between metaphysics and the
empirical, reintroduces that distinction.  It is _just_ an assumption.

We have to ask, then, is Pirsig's metaphysics _more_ empirical?  Pirsig says
it is.  But how?  Pirsig made a distinction between metaphysical reasons and
empirical reasons.  Presumably Pirsig's metaphysics contains some
metaphysical reasons, and these reasons would _just_ be assumptions.  Or if
the difference is between metaphysics based on evidence and metaphysics not
so based, how can we tell a good metaphysical reason based on evidence from
a bad metaphysical assumption not so based?  Especially if Pirsig's
Copernican revolution was a metaphysical change in assumptions?  Was
Pirsig's switch from S/O to Q based on empirical evidence?  What evidence?
That values are, in fact, real?  How would SOMists have missed such an
obvious fact?  Can a metaphysics really blind us to obvious facts?  Or is it
the case that a metaphysics will shape what the facts are?  And so SOMists
missed it because it isn't, for them, a fact.  And Pirsig's revolution was a
whole change in thinking about the facts so that we could make our way about
the world better, by being able to acknowledge the reality of values (and
all the attendent good changes in behavior that would bring).

What I'm getting at is that Pirsig faces the same problem with "empiricism"
that the logical positivists faced.  The logical positivists' "verifiability
criterion" claimed that for something to be real, it had to be empirically
verifiable.  Postivism began to fall apart in the 50s when philosophers
began to ask if the verifiability criterion was itself verifiable.
Positivism, they said, claimed to have excoriated all metaphysics, but this
here looks like pure metaphysics.  This is the sentiment that Pirsig is
playing off of, this is the real life history of logical positivism that
Pirsig is alluding to.  And Pirsig _attacks_ the postivists because they're
doing metaphysics, when they claimed they weren't.  But _why_ would Pirsig
attack the positivists for doing metaphysics when _Pirsig_ thinks that we
can't help but _do_ metaphysics?  Why not then acknowledge the metaphysics
of the postivists and deal with it?

_And_, more importantly, how does Pirsig answer the question: how is the
verifiability criterion verified?  He takes it on, so how does he answer the
questions?

The answer that turned the postivists on their ear was Rudolf Carnap's.
Carnap was one of the big boys, one of _the_ logical postivists from the
Vienna Circle (who'd probably been at the roundtable in Austria when
Wittgenstein suggested offhandedly the principle of verification).  Carnap
suggested that we shouldn't ask if the principle of verification is
verifiable because it isn't in the right category for that.  He suggested
that the principle was _pragmatically_ justified, that the success of using
it produced the reasons for using it.

_This_, in fact, would be Pirsig's answer.  What Pirsig doesn't see is that
the story of the logical positivists' principle of verification doesn't end
there.  It doesn't just stop with Carnap's proposal.  It continues on to
Quine and Davidson and others who then suggested that the pragmatism that
Carnap invokes eats away other positivist distinctions, such as that between
theoretical and empirical.

And what is Pirsig's distinction between metaphysical reasons and empirical
reasons other than a distinction between theoretical and empirical?  And how
does that not get eaten away by the pragmatism that Pirsig will invoke, the
pragmatism that gives us the equation values=reality=experience, the
pragmatism that makes metaphysics as empirical as anything else, thus
disbarring a metaphysical/empirical distinction?

In other words, just as Pirsig had a problem with the word "just" in "its
just whatever you like" in ZMM, I have problems with the word "just" in "its
just an assumption."  Pirsig isn't allowed that "just."  If the positivists
are _just_ using an assumption, then so is Pirsig.  Both of their respective
defenses are going to be pragmatic defenses.  So Pirsig should ditch the bad
arguments, which don't help, and stick to describing the kind of world we'd
live in should we follow Pirsig's assumptions rather than the logical
positivists'.

Matt