[MF] A thirty-thousand page menu with no food?

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 02:28:44 PST 2006

Matt,

  Is Pirsig’s historical mystic’s metaphor for metaphysics - a restaurant where
they give you a thirty-thousand page menu but no food - only good for
describing traditional, subject/object metaphysics?  It occurs to me that this
metaphor objectifies reality.  The restaurant, the menu and the food are all
“out there.”  And I find this to be strange talk coming from a mystic.  I was
wondering what a true mystic would say about a metaphysics that doesn't
make any particular distinction between perceived reality and sensed reality?
I’d be hard pressed to come up with a metaphor for this.  But I think I’d know
it if I saw it.  I think it would be a positive statement about life.  And I think it
would help describe faith, hope and love.

  I’ll let you know if I come up with something.  In the mean time I’m going to
give myself and my keyboard a rest.

  Thanks for the bandwidth.  And thanks for helping me to process some
things.

Kevin