[MF] lurk mode

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 03:17:06 PST 2006

<lurk mode off>
Dear friends,

The 40 days before Easter are traditionally a time of inward reflection...for folks
like me.  Coincidentally, for me, the end of the recent rough road here and the
beggining of this year's 40 day period happened at the same time.  So I
thought it best, for me, to do more listening then speaking during the Lenten
period.

Last Thursday I borrowed a set of tapes from a close friend; True Self/False Self by Richard Rohr, OFM.  The following is from one of Rohr's websites.

     Richard Rohr feels that there is no more challenging spiritual issue than the
     “problem of the self.” Most of contemporary spiritual teaching, he believes,
     is still trying to inspire and fortify the private self, the autonomous "I." Even
     much church work is trying to evangelize and sacramentalize what many
     would call "the false self." Basic transformation is not expected, but merely
     a new set of beliefs and practices or loyal membership in a new group. This
     only confirms the disguise of the ego, but does not truly offer a "new
     creation." Both the individual and society remain largely unchanged.

     Fr. Richard believes that until the false assumptions of Western
     individualism are clearly faced and experienced by religious believers, there
     will be no real breakthroughs for Christianity or any religion. He makes
     reference to the work of Ken Wilbur, Thomas Merton, Eckhart Tolle, the
     mystical tradition (especially of Julian of Norwich), Mary Oliver, and the new
     paradigm offered by quantum physics.

     In a presentation that embraces the challenge, inspiration and the genuine
     hope that is offered by the Gospel of Jesus, Fr. Rohr illustrates the
     implications of transformation both for individuals and for society at large

Peace,

Kevin
<lurk mode on>