[MF] Dharmakaya light

Maggie Hettinger mhettinger at mac.com
Tue Mar 7 15:07:57 PST 2006

Hello, all.

I'm enjoying what I read.  It looks as if personal experience is
supporting the notion that the DK light is really significant, in
deep ways.

Pirsig mentions two aspects of the experience that I'm really
interested in.

One, you've described beautifully:  The notion that the light is
perceived when something is really, really important, whether we are
conscious of the importance or not.  The fact of the pupil dilation
makes it seem a really fundamental human response.  I wondered if
there's research on that.

The second aspect is the kitten following.  That could be really key,
but where would we look for it in research?

My own experience with the light includes a conversation with a woman
who was talking about her vision for our little parish school years
ago.  I can still see her sitting there, face aglow, light behind her
hair (coming from where? she wasn't sitting where the light would
shine behind her).  I know that even though the school is gone, and
we aren't working together on a regular basis, I still have intense
feelings about the concepts we initiated, and I also have a different
kind of feeling for her--respect, loyalty, what?--that is different
than my connection with other people.

Another example:  I can picture my mentor, when he was dying, but it
is his face I remember, a glow that reminded me of my daughter's face
giving birth.  The whole sense was the same.  The intensity, the
glow, and the importance.

It's funny to just type out sentences about these experiences.  They
are too important for just a simple statement.

I have a paper I've been working on, one that wants to talk about the
light in that context, as a fundamental human response.  I don't see
much about it, but haven't done a serious search, yet.  I'm looking
for shortcuts, actually.

pax,
maggie