[MD] Free Speech

Platt Holden pholden at davtv.com
Sun Dec 3 14:04:19 PST 2006

> [Platt]
> When all else fails, accuse your opponent of being like a Nazi. This
> coming from someone who claims to represent intellect! Sad really.
>
> [Arlo]
> Excellent condemnation of yourself, Platt, since I make it clear that
> that statement (see the parenthetical clause) is merely a reflection of
> an identical one you had just used against me. Kudos!

Comparing me to a Nazi is "identical" to comparing you to the pope? I hope
you aren't correcting student papers for their intellectual content. If so, they
ought to get their money back.

> But, we have to respect the Nazi political view, don't we? I mean,
> who are we in the Academy to say that someone's political view is
> intellectually untenable. Nazism is just as valid as any other political
> belief. That great academic freedom policy will ensure that no Nazi is
> intellectually condemned on campus.

An excellent description of multiculturism, the prevailing view on campus.
Congrats.

> Free Exchange on Campus presents mountains of intellectual evidence to
> counter the nonsensical, and social-political, maneuverings of this
> latest assault on Intellect. The sad, long history of the rights assault
> on Intellect continues, despite evidence, to force the dominance of
> social patterns over Intellect. Not that that's surprising to anyone
> following history (global or national). They even went after Pirsig.
> Something we should all remember.

Perhaps you'll explain, in the face of "mountains of intellectual evidence," why
intellectuals at Penn State and Temple University  adopted a new academic
freedom policy.  My guess is that instead of a cogent explanation we will just
see more of your hysterical defense of a centuries-old, static social
orthodoxy.  Little wonder they refer to the academy as the "Ivory Tower." :-)