[MD] Chaos and Goldilocks

Case Case at iSpots.com
Sun Dec 10 16:05:16 PST 2006

[SA]
Are you saying order is chaos?  Chaos is order?
What other specific forms of chaos exist?

[Case]
There is something of a paradox here. Under certain conditions chaotic
systems can assume one of several steady states. Take the planet earth for
example. One steady state is the lush green/blue marble we live on. It has
been in more or less this state for millions of years. But another steady
state for it is white snow ball. It has in the past oscillated between these
states. Both are stabile. They can be regarded as attractors. So that when
there are disruptions, in the prevailing conditions (meteors strikes,
volcanoes, increased solar activity, too many cars...) a period of
unpredictability occurs then the system settles into one of its attractor
states. There is this whole thing in chaos theory about boundary conditions
and something that rings a bell about catastrophe theory. This like the
straw breaking the camel's back. Adding straw after straw has predictable
effects on the camel until all of a sudden the adding one straw makes the
whole thing fall apart.

     [Case]
> We as creatures find the orderly patterns. They are of no real
significance as TITs.

[SA]
Do you mean that orderly patterns and TITs are not significant?  I don't
think that's what you mean. Do you mean orderly patterns are not as
significant as TITs?  This would be ranking, for what end, I don't
know.

[Case]
No I mean that while I accept TITs on faith and they give me great comfort I
acknowledge that they are undefined and unknowable. What order they have is
given to them or discovered by us.

> [SA]
> Does this mean, all current disciples are unsatisfactory?

> [Case]
> No, why would you say that?

[SA]
 First off, I don't think you mean disciple, maybe discipline?  If you did
mean the former, then I was thrown off by the comment.  If you do mean
discipline, then by metaphysics, your saying it is trying to transcend.
Transcend is to get away from, or beyond.
What is metaphysics trying to get beyond?  If metaphysics is always trying
to get away, transcend, and go beyond, when will metaphysics be satisfied?

[Case]
I meant discipline. My proof reading is so poor I thank you all every day
for your indulgence. Sometimes when I read over stuff I have written here I
almost respond to myself, going what an idiot. But I know from long
experience that if I waited for the removal of every error I would be
paralyzed so I just throw it out there.

I was saying that I see metaphysics as similar to the scientific idea of
beauty. That is a beautiful (metaphysical) idea is one that applies to may
disciplines. It has transcendent explanatory power, like evolution.

As for disciples: Robert Anton Wilson once said that disciples are assholes
looking for a person to attach themselves too. So I guess that would make
them pretty unsatisfactory as well.