[MD] Chaos and Goldilocks

Heather Perella spiritualadirondack at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 08:01:47 PST 2006

> [Case]
> There is something of a paradox here. Under certain
> conditions chaotic
> systems can assume one of several steady states.
> Take the planet earth for
> example. One steady state is the lush green/blue
> marble we live on. It has
> been in more or less this state for millions of
> years. But another steady
> state for it is white snow ball. It has in the past
> oscillated between these
> states. Both are stabile. They can be regarded as
> attractors. So that when
> there are disruptions, in the prevailing conditions
> (meteors strikes,
> volcanoes, increased solar activity, too many
> cars...) a period of
> unpredictability occurs then the system settles into
> one of its attractor
> states. There is this whole thing in chaos theory
> about boundary conditions
> and something that rings a bell about catastrophe
> theory. This like the
> straw breaking the camel's back. Adding straw after
> straw has predictable
> effects on the camel until all of a sudden the
> adding one straw makes the
> whole thing fall apart.

     So, it does seem neither chaos, nor order are
primary to one another.  They affirm and negate each
other.  The predictable straw breaks the back, and the
whole thing falls apart.

> [Case]
> No I mean that while I accept TITs on faith and they
> give me great comfort I
> acknowledge that they are undefined and unknowable.
> What order they have is
> given to them or discovered by us.

  ok.  I know a tree is tree, too.  A tree is me, too.
 How is any of this?  Like this...

> [Case]
> I was saying that I see metaphysics as similar to
> the scientific idea of
> beauty. That is a beautiful (metaphysical) idea is
> one that applies to may
> disciplines. It has transcendent explanatory power,
> like evolution.

    Going where?  Nowhere I think.

oh, i see the blue sky now,
SA