[MD] Food for Thought

Michael Hamilton thethemichael at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 11:50:27 PST 2006

DMB, Case, all

I wonder if it'd be better to think of the law of opposition more as a
"law of emancipation". Free speech doesn't really oppose society - you
need to have society to have speech - but free speech mitigates the
control exercised by society. It's emancipation from controlling
structures, not complete opposition to them, that makes room for DQ.
Similarly, biological life can't change the facts of gravity and
entropy, but it does refuse to be a slave to them.

Also, I agree with Case that "society is a biological strategy". A
pack is stronger than a lone wolf. Similarly, a society with access to
science and technology is stronger than a society so regimented that
it stifles change and discovery. Nonetheless, I think society can be
considered as an emancipation from the law of the jungle. Loyalty and
empathy mean you don't have to spend your whole life sharpening your
claws and looking over your shoulder.

Regards,
Mike