[MD] Social Imposition ?

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Dec 19 13:10:26 PST 2006

[David M]
Is there a question here about what can be a source of DQ? I
understand individuals can be a source of DQ, so do collectives only
preserve & accumulate SQ?

[Arlo]
The misconception here arises from isolating "individuals" and
"collectives". An individual inorganic pattern is capable of
responding to DQ, but not in the same way an individual biological
pattern is capable. An atom has a very limited repertoire of
those emergent patterns (individual biological patterns) have a
drastically increased repertoire of responses. But then you see cells
follow DQ and collectively form bodies and that "individual body" (a
collective of individual cells) has a still greater repertoire of responses.

So the answer is both yes and no, individuals (which emerge from
collectives) respond to DQ through the repertoire of choices they
have. Evolutionarily, the movement has been towards creating "more
advanced individual patterns" (again, by virtue of collectivization)
that can respond to DQ with greater choice than the individual
patterns of which they are composed. In this, everything is BOTH an
individual AND a collective. This is why the dichotomy is so
fallacious and misleading. Collectives are a source of DQ, your body
is a collective and it is capable of responding to biological
quality. But here we call your "body" an "individual" precisely
because the collective activity of those cells has given emergence to
a pattern that functions as a single unit when viewed from a higher
level of analysis, and on that level of analysis can respond with
greater repertoire to DQ than is possible by the individual patterns
we call "cells" (which are really collectives as well, we only think
of them as "individuals" for the same reason, that the collective
activity of the cells components has given emergence to a pattern
that functions as a single unit when viewed from a higher level of
analysis, and on that level of analysis can respond with greater
repertoire to DQ than is possible by the individual patterns that
make up the cell.)