[MD] In the drink

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 09:27:12 PST 2006

I don't need to mention that I try to stay out of the MD these days.  And I
doubt I should have to add that I find most of what has gone on, and goes
on, by me and almost everyone else, to be beneath people who would just like
to discuss philosophy or ideas, or whatever it is they want to discuss.

Mark, aka Squonk, has accussed Anthony of plagarism, which is about as high
a charge one can level at a scholar/academic.  I have had unpleasentness
with both Mark/Squonk and Anthony and in my experience I have found both to
be less than fun to engage in dialogue with.  I just don't like it, it has
seemed pointless to me in the past, and it is a big reason I don't frequent
the MD much anymore.

That being said, if it is true that Anthony has plagarized something of
Mark's, well, like I said that is a very high charge (though minor compared
to, ya' know, published essays and books).  But because I have found
Mark/Squonk's style of engagement deplorable for a scholar/academic for
years, much worse than Anthony who on the whole tends to keep it on the up
and up, I would be remiss to remind the MD of this incident from some years
ago, which, though on the whole even more minor, remains totally
unexplained, strange, weird, though oddly characteristic of a person who
never really tried to dialogue with another person.

On Thursday May 31, 2001, in the "Migration towards Dynamic Quality" thread,
I (under my first moniker "Matt the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat") wrote a
post containing this:

"The beautiful thing that Pirsig did was make axiology and metaphysics the
same thing. Value is reality. After that you're just left with epistemology
which is what was predominately covered in ZAMM. (In fact, in Ch 18 of ZAMM,
we find Pirsig essentially asking the question How do we know reality has
value? That was the pinnacle question to establish Quality. Now we need to
establish the MOQ by answering Why is Dynamic better than static?) So,
essentially Pirsig reduces axiology into metaphysics, a niffty move if I've
ever seen one. What that also means is that the (at minimum) three branches
of axiology (politics, aesthetics, and ethics) become the same thing as his
metaphysics. Pirsig's metaphysics is his ethics."

On Tuesday March 25, 2003, beginning a new thread entitled "Nifty Move.",
Squonk (his previous moniker before moving, like myself, to just his name)
wrote a post containing only this:

-------------------------
Hello All,

A beautiful thing Pirsig did was to make axiology and metaphysics the same.
Value is reality. After that you are left with epistemology which is
predominately covered in ZAMM.
(In Ch. 18 of ZAMM Pirsig essentially asks the question, "How do we know
reality has value?" That was the pinnacle question to establish Quality. We
need to establish the MoQ by asking, "Why is Dynamic better than static?")
So, essentially Pirsig reduces axiology into metaphysics, a nifty move if
I've ever seen one! This also means that three branches of axiology
(politics, aesthetics, and ethics) become the same thing as his metaphysics.
Pirsig's metaphysics is his ethics.

squonk

The same day, back in 2003, I responded, having thought I'd heard those