[MD] Case's Answer to Marsha

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 4 16:06:03 PST 2006

David M said to dmb:
...The point of Job is the need to ask and the need to keep holding the
source of the cosmos to account, such is its value and meaning for us and
also, I'd suggest for god too. If you ask a moral question, you can only
think in terms of a responsible agent.

dmb replies:
Why? From my point of view, this is a series of completely indefensible
assertions. Why do we "need" to hold the source of the cosmos to account?
What is the source of the cosmos and how would you hold it to account? Why
do moral question require that we think in terms of a responsible agent? By
"value and meaning" do you mean "emotional comfort and psychological
denial", or what? This is crazy nonsense, as far as I can tell.

David M also said:
Sam Becket: "There is no god. The bastard!" A sentiment that seems to echo
your emotional attach to the god-idea and touching the same inconsistency.
You're such an unconvincing atheist because the subject so bothers you -as
it should not.

dmb replies:
Me and Beckett? Well, that's a first. Thanks, ...I guess. Anyway, its
interesting to notice your reaction here in general and in particular the
way you describe me as "an unconvincing atheist". Can I safely conclude that
you are a theist who has not yet been persuaded otherwise? That's what it
looks like to me.

But if I'm trying to persuade anyone of anything, its just that theism
doesn't fit into the MOQ. What you do in your free time is your own
business, church boy.

Feel free to make a case to the contrary, but the validity of the point is
unrelated to my emotional dispositions. That rests on the quality of the
argument as such, besides you only say stuff like that when you've had too
much coffee and bong hits. And you only believe in god because dad never
loved you. All those cracks about what bothers me should be dismissed
because you're a neurotic mess and so nothing you say has any validity. Or
is it the other way around?

Thanks.
dmb