[MD] the sophists

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Sat May 15 08:34:30 PDT 2010

[Bo]
However, we have the final MOQ at our disposal and from there the said ZAMM
event looks like this: Plato represents intellect's objective side and the
Sophists its subjective side

[Arlo]
Not Pirsig.

""Man is the measure of all things." [the Sophists] Yes, that’s what he is
saying about Quality. Man is not the source of all things, as the subjective
idealists would say. Nor is he the passive observer of all things, as the
objective idealists and materialists would say." (ZMM)

This is the bending over backwards to twist things to force the round MOQ into
the square SOL.

Its quite clear that Pirsig places the Sophists, and their intellectual
framework, outside SOM, opposed to SOM, indeed it is against SOM (although they
don't call it that) that the Sophists had been arguing.