[MD] the sophists

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Sun May 16 07:17:49 PDT 2010

Arlo

15 May.

[Bo]
> However, we have the final MOQ at our disposal and from there the said
> ZAMM event looks like this: Plato represents intellect's objective
> side and the Sophists its subjective side

> [Arlo]
> Not Pirsig.

> ""Man is the measure of all things." [the Sophists] Yes, that´s what
> he is saying about Quality. Man is not the source of all things, as
> the subjective idealists would say. Nor is he the passive observer of
> all things, as the objective idealists and materialists would say."
> (ZMM)

> This is the bending over backwards to twist things to force the round
> MOQ into the square SOL.

Yes, yes I've heard all these platitudes before.

> Its quite clear that Pirsig places the Sophists, and their
> intellectual framework, outside SOM, opposed to SOM, indeed it is
> against SOM (although they don't call it that) that the Sophists had
> been arguing.

Don't you see the futility of your effort to avoid a MOQ adjustment of
ZAMM. If SOM was an invasion of a pre-existing intellect, what is this
"intellect" other than the good old "mind" - a mental compartment
where ideas are conceived and stored -  and by this token everything
is intellectual.

Bodvar