[MD] Know-how - an aside

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue May 18 09:58:13 PDT 2010

[Marsha]
I agree with Platt's insistence on the importance of the individual

[Arlo]
Ah, what the hell... its a slow day, I'll bite.

The problem with "Platt's insistence" is that it is, in effect,
tunnel vision. "Individuals" and "collectives" (if you will) exist at
all levels of focus, there are "individual inorganic patterns" when
the lens is adjusted one way, which suddenly become a collective
activity of patterns when the lens is readjusted. Up and down the
MOQ's hierarchy we can go, zooming in and zooming out, finding
"individuals" and then seeing that these patterns are forever
contextualized, and that our "analytic knife", which serves us
discrete individuals, is a tool and nothing more.

The "individual" is important, sure, and so is its collective
activity, and the patterns formed by this activity, "new" individual
patterns at greater levels of evolution.

[Marsha]
I find no independent controlling self, only a flow of patterns.

[Arlo]
Yes. "Individuals" and "collectives" are simply contextual frames of
reference. On one hand, theoretically compartmentalizing, say, the
"human heart" as a discrete and isolated pattern may help us
understand it to some degree. But so does refocusing and seeing the
whole body holistically, as a "larger" individual pattern built from
the collective activity of smaller patterns.

Que the "commie" drumbeat...