[MD] Know-how - an aside

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Tue May 18 12:22:04 PDT 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Arlo Bensinger wrote:

> [Marsha]
> I agree with Platt's insistence on the importance of the individual
>
> [Arlo]
> Ah, what the hell... its a slow day, I'll bite.
>
> The problem with "Platt's insistence" is that it is, in effect, tunnel vision. "Individuals" and "collectives" (if you will) exist at all levels of focus, there are "individual inorganic patterns" when the lens is adjusted one way, which suddenly become a collective activity of patterns when the lens is readjusted. Up and down the MOQ's hierarchy we can go, zooming in and zooming out, finding "individuals" and then seeing that these patterns are forever contextualized, and that our "analytic knife", which serves us discrete individuals, is a tool and nothing more.
>
> The "individual" is important, sure, and so is its collective activity, and the patterns formed by this activity, "new" individual patterns at greater levels of evolution.

Hi Arlo,

I don't really see it as an either/or problem.  I really believe the
best one can do is change as an individual  and hope it radiates
out into the community.  I can occasionally get into the Madame
Defarge mode which just radiates bad vibes, but that is useless.

> [Marsha]
> I find no independent controlling self, only a flow of patterns.
>
> [Arlo]
> Yes. "Individuals" and "collectives" are simply contextual frames of reference. On one hand, theoretically compartmentalizing, say, the "human heart" as a discrete and isolated pattern may help us understand it to some degree. But so does refocusing and seeing the whole body holistically, as a "larger" individual pattern built from the collective activity of smaller patterns.

An individual cannot do anything to control the community.  I'm
all for communities, but think individuals bettering themselves
add the most benefit.  By bettering themselves, I mean discovering
the way things really are.

> Que the "commie" drumbeat...

Not going to dance to the political drumbeat.

Marsha

___