[MD] Relativism

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Thu May 20 08:33:17 PDT 2010

Ron:

19 May you said to Steve:

> Dave has provided several quotes over the course of this arguement.
> Which stated that Rorty felt that any epistomologial theory of truth is
> meaningless, Dave points out that this is true if one is speaking to the
> context of objective truth in an ontological way. Objective truth is
> culturally derrived. Pirsig and James remark how truth is a species of
> the good. Connecting truth and experience, that is why everyone can
> agree to "the good" but disagree over the truth.
> Which is one good reason Bo's SOL fails to explain how DQ/SQ has
> greater explanitory power.

What is one good reason ... etc? Can't fin any. About Rorty's about the
impossibility of a theory of truth is straight along SOL's lines. Truth or
absolute are all "O" fall-outs of SOM's S/O aggregate and like it they
owe their existence to  their "S" counterparts in a reciprocal manner.
Truth needs illusion and absolute needs relative and vice versa.

Then "...Objective truth is culturally derived" which is NOT true, you
possibly mean (f.ex) that Muslims hold Allah to be true, Christians hold
God and Jews Javeh ...etc, but this has nothing to do with SOL's
"intellect=S/O" thesis. Intellect's objectivity rejects all social "truths" as
subjective  nonsense. About "...Pirsig and James remarking how truth
is a species of Good .."  Yes,  and the SOL says that Truth is a static
intellectual "species" and that this level is the VALUE of all these S/O-
derivatives. Straight into SOL's hands.

It's easy to utter these negative words Ron, but it's worse to back them
up, or it's plain impossible, the SOL is unassailable.

Bodvar