[MD] the sophists

Andre Broersen andrebroersen at gmail.com
Thu May 27 00:07:07 PDT 2010

Bodvar to dmb, All:
OK, the students learned how to free their greater or lesser writing
abilities, just as the mechanical finesse displayed by the author in
ZAMM resulted in better motorcycles performance, yet this is writing and
motorcycles. John Sutherland would never become a good mechanic and
Pirsig no good musician regardless of lecturing.

Andre:
Is this all about dexterity then Bodvar? I thought it was more about
learning to 'see'. I thought one of the great points in ZMM was that the
real motorcycle you work on is yourself??? I think you miss that point
completely by reducing the quality of Phaedrus' teaching to apply purely
to motorcycle maintenance or musicianship or writing for that matter.You
are separating writer from the writing, the mechanic from the motorcycle
the musician from the music.The 'art' of the teaching lies in removing
this (artificial) separation.

Bodvar:
To teach quality generally can only be done by teaching the MOQ.

Andre:
Oh dear, so all the bleeding hearts and artists and mystics...(and
Sophists), all had advanced copies did they?