[MD] grmbl

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Mon May 31 00:42:41 PDT 2010

Andre, Platt, All.

31 May:

Platt had said:

> What Mr. Pirsig was talking about with regards to "container logic" was
> his wholehearted adoption of it to explain his new metaphysics, neatly
> summarized in one sentence: "What the Metaphysics of Quality would do
> is to take this separate category, Quality, and show how it contains
> within itself both subjects and objects." (Lila, 5) That one sentence
> also advances Bo's idea that the intellectual level is not only a
> "subset" of Quality but restricted to the S/O division.

Andre:
> Hi Platt, it seems our readings of this sentence (within the context
> of the MOQ) is different then? Within the MOQ objects are inorganic
> and organic patterns of value, and subjects are social and
> intellectual patterns of value. All neatly arranged within an
> evolutionary framework.

Within the MOQ subjects and objects are SOM! The part about how
the MOQ encases SOM (objects =  matter & life and subjects =
societies &  intellect) does not work at all.

> Are we sharing the same meaning of 'subjects' and 'objects'? Perhaps
> you can explain what you mean by these two conceptualizations(if they
> are indeed different to the MOQ understanding of them). This may clear
> up a lot of misunderstandings and 'talking passed' eachother.

OK this is me not Platt, but subjects and objects - along with all S/O
dualisms - came to pass with the Greeks. Isn't it possible to get this
ESSENTIAL message into your head? (ZAMM 382)

    What is essential to understand at this point is that until now
    there was no such thing as mind and matter, subject and
    object, form and substance. Those divisions are just dialectical
    inventions that came later. The modern mind sometimes tends
    to balk at the thought of these dichotomies being inventions
    and says, ``Well, the divisions were there for the Greeks to
    discover,'' and you have to say, ``Where were they? Point to
    them!'' And the modern mind gets a little confused and
    wonders what this is all about anyway, and still believes the
    divisions were there. But they weren't, as Phædrus said. They
    are just ghosts, immortal gods of the modern mythos which
    appear to us to be real because we are in that mythos. But in
    reality they are just as much an artistic creation as the
    anthropomorphic Gods they replaced.

But still thanks for discussing the MOQ

Bodvar