[MD] Plains Talk and Pragmatism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 16:36:13 PST 2010

Hi Tim,
Hindu or Buddhist analogies into the discussion.  There was something about
Zen in the first book.  Karma can be seen in a variety of ways, I think, but
you are pointing to that which seeks balance.  It can also be considered to
arise from previous existences.  This notion has its value as well.  Whether
such a concept is right or wrong is not for me to say, it is what one does
with it that matters.  In witchcraft, there is the rule of three.  That is,
if you do something good it is returned threefold, and of course just the
opposite is true.  This can also be seen as a kind of Karma.  If we really
believed in such a thing, I believe that we would do our best to be kind and
generous.  If metaphysics is meant to provide (or arise from) a positive
force, then it should promote values.

Now, there are some aspects of witchcraft that I think are fascinating and
real.  I do not easily dismiss anything until I have given it a chance
through study.  Even then, I hesitate to push it aside because everything is
somehow linked.  Breaking the chain leaves two loose ends.  I know this will
not stand well with the rational empiricists, but could be explained as
something they have not experienced yet, and therefore have no say in the
matter.  To deny what one cannot experience is simply self-centered and
small.

Mark