[MD] [Bulk] Re: Humanism

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon Nov 15 07:28:57 PST 2010

[DMB quotes Pirsig]
"I'm very pleased to know that Dr. Anthony McWatt and David Buchanan
will be speaking at Oxford. They are the two foremost philosophers
today on the Metaphysics of Quality and its implications for the
guidance of humanity. General public understanding of this
metaphysical system is still in its infancy and they deserve the
careful, open-minded attention that early proponents of any idea
need." (Robert Pirsig, October 2009)

[Arlo]
Its good to hear that as recently as last year Pirsig was supporting
your work and giving you the credit you deserve for your efforts.
Largely, I'm sorry a lot of your effort and time is wasted here.

I continue to think a large part of the problem is that people do not
want disagree with Pirsig, they want to twist Pirsig into agreeing
with them. I suspect it has a lot to with the need for validation,
and I suspect that a large part of the animosity you face is simply
jealousy. One thing I constantly tell students I work is to never be
afraid to disagree, but ensure your disagreement stands of solid
reasoning. And the only way to form this foundation is by actually
understanding what the author meant in the first place. In other
words, to form disagreement with Pirsig one should be clear about
what Pirsig has said. And I think its the efforts of you, Ant, Horse
and Dan that continues to keep (or tries to keep) that on path (and
David Granger, of course, whose book I recommend to anyone with a
serious interest in Pirsig's philosophy).