[MD] Modern American Humanism and MOQ

craigerb at comcast.net craigerb at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 17:48:01 PST 2010

[American Humanism Manifesto]
*Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation, and
rational analysis.*
.

I can't see how anyone could disagree with this,
except a thorough-going skeptic.
.

*Humans are an integral part of nature, the result of unguided evolutionary
change.*

.
This accords with the MoQ view that humans are distinguished by their place
in the evolutionary chain.

.

*Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by
experience.*

.
For the MoQ, this statement would be true of HUMAN ethical values.
Values at other levels would be relative to them.

.

*Life's fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of
humane ideals.*
.
This accords with the MoQ's emphasis on the centrality of
(high quality) values.
.
*Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships.*

.
This accords well with the MoQ's view that the intellectual
level evolves from the social level.
.
*Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness.*

.
This accords well with the value of free exchange: we are both better off
when I exhange with you what I have that you value for what
you have that I value.
Craig