[MD] What kind of ethical theory is the MOQ?

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:24:37 PST 2010

> Hi Marsha,

Thanks for the discussion, all I have is my opinion, it is certainly no
authority, but I understand things by asking questions.  I hope you do not
mind.  I will of course do my best to answer yours.

> On Nov 24, 2010, at 4:05 PM, 118 wrote:
>
> > Hi Marsha,
> >
> > I guess a better way to phrase my question would be to ask:  When you say
> > 'I' are you pointing to something, or pointing to the change of that
> > something?
>
> Marsha:
> And I do not know what you mean by the word "something."  Thing?  I have
> experienced myself to be a flow of bits and pieces of ever-changing,
> interrelated, impermanent static patterns of value.  The label 'I' is a
> label
> for that process.

[Mark]
So, if I take your statement and use a little substitution algebra, I come
up with this:

" A flow of bits and pieces of ever-changing, interrelated, impermanent
static patterns of value" have experienced "a flow of bits and pieces of
ever-changing, interrelated, impermanent static patterns of value" to be "a
flow of bits and pieces of ever-changing, interrelated, impermanent static
patterns of value".  All I have left is to figure out what you mean by
experienced, then I will understand you.  How does experience fit in?

> Marsha:
> And now I am asking you?
>

> > Mark:
> > The brain part reviews what is known as best it can, the emotional
> > dictates part of choice, and the "I" intuits the answer.
>
> Marsha:
> Have you become an authority?
> How do you know?  What is your evidence?  How can you be sure?

[Mark]
You asked me a question and I gave you an answer.  There is no authority
other than my own.  The evidence comes from what I believe.  Believing is to
be sure.  Does this answer your question, or do I need a quote from
Wikipedia to make it seem more convincing?

> > Mark:
> > For this I need an "I" which does not change from one moment to another.
>
> Marsha:
> I don't see the need.

[Mark]
It would seem that by using the using the pronoun 'I', which is the singular
personal pronoun of the subjective case, you do see the need.  If you don't
see the need then your grammar would reflect that.  How would you state your
"I don't see the need" according to your view of reality?  Again, I will ask
what is this I that is experiencing other?  You can substitute it with a
bunch of words that you presented above, but that is just word substitution.
 Give me a metaphor.  Are you a tornado or a standing wave or a whirlpool or
a bubble traveling up a tank to be released into air?  (no, it wasn't a
multiple choice question.).  Patterns exist outside of you, what makes these
different from those within?

>  Marsha:
> I sense in mindfulness the ability to influence the process   But there
> are many patterns within a given situation where I have no influence.
> No, total freewill does not ring true, but influence does.

[Mark]
Yes, I agree, free will but confined by a lot of rules.  We can bend, but we
cannot make.

> Marsha:
> When you use the word 'what' do you mean what independent self or
> object is making the decision?  My answer could only be there is no
> independent self or objects making the decision.   There is interrelated
> static patterns of value and Dynamic Quality.

[Mark]
Again we return to the sentence I present at the beginning, and I am not
suggesting inherent arising, I am comfortable with codependent arising.  I
am now stuck on experiencing.  Does this experience happen to anything?
Does the experience create something?  Is the experience part of what you
see yourself to be?  Is experience experiencing experience? (Wow, I don't
think I have said that before).  Give me a clue of what you mean by
experience.  What does it mean to you?

Cheers,
Mark