[MD] spirituality

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Tue Nov 30 01:30:51 PST 2010

I offer the word 'spirituality' with apprehension because
its connotations are often classified in the religious and
new-age category, but anyway...

     "From the seventeenth century, the time of the scientific revolution, to the present day, many people have considered science to be synonymous with knowledge. The exponential increase in the accumulation of information driven by the rise of science is not about to slow down.  Meanwhile, religious practice has declined in democratic, secular states, while often becoming more radical in religious states.  The great spiritual traditions, whether they were dogmatic or based rather on pure contemplative experience, provide powerful ethical rules that people could use to structure and inspire their lives.  As science has developed, many people have become disillusioned with the teachings of the world's religions, and a secular faith in the revelations of science and the efficiency of technology has evolved.  Others, however, point out that science is incapable of revealing all truths, and that while technology has produced huge benefits, the ravages it has caused are at least as great.  What is more, science is silent when it comes to providing wisdom about how we should live.

     "The correct view of science is as an instrument, intrinsically neither good nor bad.  Either praising it to the skies or damning it is as senseless as applauding or criticizing strength. Scientists are no better or worse than other human beings in general.  Science does not produce wisdom.  While the insights of science can help us change our world, only human thought and concern can enlighten us about the path we should follow in life.  As a complement to science, therefore, we must also cultivate a "science of mind," or what we can call spirituality.  This spirituality is not a luxury but a necessity."

 'Mathieu Ricard & Trinh Xuan Thuan, 'The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet',pp.1-2)

___